.pro open to everyone for £2.99 excl. VAT
.pro will be released on the 16th November at 8pm and it will become available to everyone (businesses, associations etc.) unconditionally.
The generic .pro extension was created for professionals and launched in 2004. Today, this extension which boasts around 106,000 registrations provides an impressive choice of domain names with great potential.
From restriction to freedom
• In 2004, this extension was limited to lawyers, accountants, doctors and engineers present in France, Canada, Germany, the UK and the US.
• In this same year, to ensure sales took off, dentists, architects and other professionals were added to the list.
• In 2008 .pro became available to professionals who had a SIREN name or equivalent and there were no longer any geographical restrictions.
• In 2012 when Afilias (who also owns .info along with a host of other domains) acquired .pro, the rules changed. To get a .pro domain name you had to be a professional (liberal professional, doctor, lawyer etc.) In other words you had to act as an individual and no longer as a business as was the case in 2008.
• From the 16th November 2015, everyone will be able to register for a .pro domain name.
.pro is available for £2.99 excl. VAT for the first year (instead of £9.99) until 31st January 2016.